The information provided here is for general purposes only. Please contact the local Israeli embassy or consulate in your home country for specific regulations for issuing student visas.
Israeli Embassies and Consulates Abroad
Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Visa Regulations


You must have a valid passport (expiry date a minimum of 6 months after your return date) in order to leave your home country and enter Israel. If you do not have a valid passport, you should apply for one immediately.  
If you hold an Israeli passport, you will be required to present it upon arrival.


Israeli Visa Requirements


Tourist Visa
Citizens of the US and many other countries visiting Israel may enter Israel on a tourist visa. The tourist visa is valid for three months and is issued free of charge upon arrival at Ben-Gurion Airport. After three months, the visa must be extended for another three-month period at a district office of the Ministry of the Interior. The visa may be extended every three months for up to one year. There is a nominal fee for each extension. The benefits of entering Israel on a tourist visa are:

  • No previous arrangements need to be made prior to your arrival in Israel
  • You do not forfeit your temporary residency or new immigrant rights (if you decide to complete university studies in Israel or remain here permanently)
  • You can later reclassify your visa from tourist visa to another type


Student Visa
Students visas are required for all non-Israeli students studying in the Sofaer IMBA.  It is recommended that all students participating in programs of one semester or longer secure a Student Visa (A-2) before arriving in Israel. However, student visas may also be obtained after arrival in Israel if necessary. If students whose programs exceed one year plan on returning to the country of their permanent residence after the completion of their studies, they must secure a Student Visa (A-2). This is a multiple-entry visa valid for one year, meaning that you may enter Israel an unlimited number of times for a period of one year without securing a new visa. Student visas must be renewed after one year. You must appear in person at the Israeli embassy or consulate to apply for a student visa. The following items must be submitted upon application:

  • Your passport or other travel document, valid for at least two years
  • A letter of acceptance from Tel Aviv University, addressed to the Israeli embassy/consulate
  • For students under age 18, a notarized declaration signed by both parents
  • A visa application form, in duplicate, with one photograph attached to each copy. (These forms may be obtained from the Israeli Consulate)
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses


Temporary Residence Visa and Visa Oleh
Students planning to stay in Israel for more than one year, or those considering settling permanently in Israel, may apply for a Visa A-2 (student), Visa A-1 (temporary resident), or Visa Oleh (new immigrant). For information about the rights and restrictions attached to each type or visa, contact the Israel Aliyah Center nearest you. Staff there will help you determine which type of visa is most beneficial to you and help you with your application.


Returning Israelis and Israeli-Born Minors
Due to frequent changes in regulations regarding returning Israelis, students born in Israel or holding Israeli passports should contact the nearest Israeli embassy or consulate to clarify their legal status upon returning to Israel. 

Tel Aviv University, P.O. Box 39040, Tel Aviv 6997801, Israel
Developed by
UI/UX Basch_Interactive